This is a sample timeline for your reference; individual student timelines will vary based on availability and goals.
Entering Program in Fall
- Spring prior to Fall start date: Apply for program (the deadline to apply for Fall 2018 is May 31, 2018)
- Summer before Fall quarter begins: Meet with faculty advisor to discuss goals (and requirements for internship experience, if applicable/desired), outline course plan, and identify appropriate research lab (if applicable/desired); apply for financial aid (if needed)
- 1-3 weeks before Fall quarter begins: Register for courses, set up EEE and email accounts, apply for student ID/library card, and purchase parking pass (if needed)
- Throughout quarter: Attend departmental colloquium, career center workshops, and graduate division workshops (if desired); meet with academic advisor as needed
Second Quarter Through Program Completion
- 3-4 weeks before each quarter begins: Meet with academic advisor to choose courses
- 1-3 weeks before each quarter begins: Register for courses
- Throughout quarter: Attend departmental colloquium, career center workshops, and graduate division workshops (if applicable/desired); meet with academic advisor as needed
- Throughout program: Complete 8 courses total (including internship and/or lab courses, if desired)
One Quarter Prior to Program Completion (and After Program)
- Meet with faculty advisor to check progress to certificate
- Request letters of recommendation (if applicable/desired)
- Apply to graduate programs (if applicable/desired). Note that admissions deadlines are typically in the fall (for most Ph.D. programs) or in the Winter (for most Master's programs) for admission the following academic year (e.g., you would apply in Fall 2018 to start in Fall 2019).
The time it takes to complete the program will vary depending upon each student's schedule and goals.
The program could be completed in as few as 6 months (by taking 4 classes per quarter) or in as many as 24 months (by taking 1 class per quarter). Most students complete the program in 3 quarters (9 months), 4 quarters (12 months), or 5 quarters (15 months).