This is a sample timeline for your reference; individual student timelines will vary based on availability and goals.
Entering Program/First quarter
- Approximately 3 months before quarter begins: Apply for program
- 3-4 weeks before quarter begins: Meet with faculty advisor to discuss goals (and requirements for internship experience, if applicable/desired), outline course plan, and identify appropriate research lab (if applicable/desired); apply for financial aid (if needed)
- 2-3 weeks before quarter begins: Register for courses, set up EEE and email accounts, apply for student ID/library card, and purchase parking pass (if needed)
- Throughout quarter: Attend departmental colloquium, career center workshops, and graduate division workshops (if desired); meet with faculty advisor as needed
Second Quarter Through Program Completion
- 3-4 weeks before each quarter begins: Meet with faculty advisor to choose courses; apply for financial aid (if needed)
- 2-3 weeks before each quarter begins: Register for courses
- Throughout quarter: Attend departmental colloquium, career center workshops, and graduate division workshops (if applicable/desired); meet with faculty advisor as needed
- Throughout program: Complete 8 courses total (including internship and/or lab courses, if desired)
One Quarter Prior to Program Completion (and After Program)
- Meet with faculty advisor to check progress to certificate
- Request letters of recommendation (if applicable/desired)
- Apply to graduate programs (if applicable/desired). Note that admissions deadlines are typically in the fall (for most Ph.D. programs) or in the Winter (for most Master's programs) for admission the following academic year (e.g., you would apply in Fall 2018 to start in Fall 2019).
The time it takes to complete the program will vary depending upon each student's schedule and goals.
The program could be completed in as few as 6 months (by taking 4 classes per quarter) or in as many as 24 months (by taking 1 class per quarter).